So I got to travel before the digital photo era and up until now, I have struggled to find a way to save and capture my memories of years gone by.

But now with all digital "goodie magads" and apps it is easier than ever before to scan and turn old images digital. I discovered a wonderful app called Photomyne and have since started scanning in my images ... 4 years worth and more than 800 photo's .... wish me luck!

But in the meantime, I thought we could explore the world together through the lens of my camera. So what are we waiting for ... let's hit the moody skies and sky lines of the "Big Apple"!


NEW YORK NEW YORK ... YOU DO NOT DISAPPOINT!

So sadly I was in New York about three times before the Twin Towers went down and the last time was literally two days before 9/11, we had a ship full of New Yorkers and it was honestly the saddest and most traumatic experience I have ever had to go through.

Literally, in the blink of an eye, the world changed as we knew it and we never returned to New York (our then home port).

My heart and prayers still go out to each and every person who was affected by 9/11, an act that shows just cruel mankind can be, but also just how amazingly a country can stand together!


NEW YORK THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS!



As with all cruises, we usually sailed either at sunset or sunrise, meaning that we often got many a moody skyline as we waved either "hello" or "goodbye". Now if you know the New York skyline you will know that there are iconic buildings which form an integral part of these postcards pictures. Some of the best-known contenders are the Chrysler Building, The Empire State Building and of course back then the Twin Towers ... but don't forget those humble, but infamous water towers too!

Interesting info on the Empire State Building:
The Empire State Building is a 102-story skyscraper located on Fifth Avenue between West 33rd and 34th Streets in Midtown, Manhattan, New York City
Height: 381 m, 443 m to tip
Construction started: 17 March 1930
Floors: 102


The city is always abuzz and the streets form a grid which makes for easy navigation but crazy traffic. I'll never forget the first time I stood on one of those streets, raised my hand and tried to hail a Yellow Cab.

I felt like I was fresh out of a movie .... whilst the locals just pushed past and went on their merry way, not paying much heed ... but then what's one more tourist after all?

On one of my few adventures through the beautiful city of New York, I got to ascend the Empire State Building. The views were breathtaking and made me feel as insignificant as I am in the greater scheme of things. Everything in New York has a movie like quality which just cannot be described. And whilst it is great to see and feel ... I must be honest and say that I personally could never live in the city myself.

Next up on the list? That huge toy store called FAO Schwartz, the world's largest toy store (well it was back then) ... yes, I could not resist!

Fifth Avenue is on a whole nother level when it comes to stores like Bergdorf's, Bloomingdales, Macy's and FAO Schwartz. They are a feast for the senses and a burden on the pocket ... but when in New York how can you possibly say no?

I still remember buying myself a "Shelby" and my nephew a "Gizmo" part of the Furby family, they came out just after the movie "The Gremlins" ... gosh how time flies!
So it was back to the ship for me and right next door to where we were docked was a naval museum called The Intrepid Museum after the Aircraft Carrier Intrepid
Sadly that was all I got to see on that particular day, and if I find more photo's I promise to update and share this post again.

We were however blessed by the most beautiful goodbye as the harbor fire boat bid us a fond farewell on a rather gloomy afternoon.
 Farewell Manhattan Island, this is the last time I would ever see you looking like this!


If there is one thing I could share, it is that New York should be on everyone's wishlist for travel. It is a sensory experience second to none and the sightseeing alone could take about two weeks.

Don't miss out on a proper New York bagel, a hot pretzel or hot dog on the side walk and a take away coffee from Starbucks ... and most of all relish every minute!