Often dental care is overlooked as a cause of bad breath and health conditions, and yet it has been proven in studies that Gingivitis can be linked to many a health concern.

Bad breath, also known as halitosis or oral malodour, often you don't know that you have it because let's face it, it is hard to smell one's own breath. The best way to check is to ask a family member or close friend for an honest opinion. Alternatively, there is the strange option, but one which the experts over at IVOHEALTH recommend:

"Lick your wrist, starting from the back of the tongue to the tip. Allow the saliva to dry for 10 seconds and then smell the area for any unpleasant odour."

Brushing your teeth has more importance than just simply giving you a bright white smile, it proves that the theory that the body and mind are linked. Your bad breath may be your body trying to tell you something.


Dental Care for good health

Good oral hygiene and oral health can improve your overall health, reducing the risk of serious disease especially as science have now linked inflammation to many life-threatening illnesses.

After starting to work with the group of functional medicine doctors that I work for, I was shocked to discover that Gingivitis and bleeding gums are cause for major concern. In fact, they are often associated with the development of cardiovascular problems such as heart disease, blockages of blood vessels, and strokes.

Basic oral hygiene

Experts stop short of saying that maintaining oral health can help protect overall health, so where do you start?

My basic oral hygiene routine has always included the following:

1. BRUSHING
Brush correctly twice a day for at least two minutes each time, where possible use an egg timer or stopwatch. Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to clean gently under the gum line. Don’t brush too hard as this can damage gums. Use a soft, small toothbrush and replace it at least every three months.

I love the Sunstar GUM toothbrushes and this Technique+ is a lovely soft bristled brush, it comes with a cover and an easy to hold ribbed rubber grip. 
2. TOOTHPASTE
I personally enjoy a tooth whitening toothpaste, and I find the Sunstar GUM OriginalWhite toothpaste a great option, it does not sensitize my teeth at all. It is not as mint as I personally like but it does leave your mouth feeling fresh and your teeth beautifully clean.

3. MOUTHWASH
When it comes to mouthwash, I have always shied away from it, mainly because of the alcohol content which I just never enjoyed. The Sunstar GUM OriginalWhite mouthwash has 0% alcohol, it cleanses the mouth, gently whitens and leaves the mouth refreshed. I especially find this to be a significant step to sterilize the mouth and help with stains from coffee, tea, and beetroot.

These are my top three steps to basic oral hygiene and the minimum that any of us should do to prevent gum disease and/or bleeding gums.

Watch this space as I bring you the next level in mouth care!

I purchase all my Sunstar GUM products from my local Dischem and you can get yours there too!



**Disclosure Ranking 2