The Hatch in Blouberg is a little and I mean leeetle venue is actually labelled as a 'Cigar Lounge'. It is conveniently located right next door to On The Rocks Restaurant and forms part of the group of restaurants which are all located along this coastal strip.

The hatch clearly getting its name from the hatch which opens up onto the street and brags of the best Cappucino's.

A HATCH ABOVE THE REST?

Well, let's just say that I am not convinced! 

I loved the venue and it's masculine decor reminiscent of a Cigar Lounge, however, I found the small cakes on offer to be extremely expensive for what they are ( I choked when paying the bill, not having enquired about the price up front ... my bad!).

A great idea was hatched here, but ...

This is a quaint little venue in an amazing location and truly has so much potential and yet I honestly believe the crazy prices are off-putting for both locals and visitors alike. Whilst the coffee was fresh and tasty (not burnt as at many a restaurant), the prices were on the steep side ranging from R20 upwards for coffees and the cakes, well, they were a whopping R45 each (we are talking mini-cakes here guys) ...eish! Come on!

Mumsy had the baked cheesecake which was lovely vanillary and dense but had zero prettiness other than the chocolate swirled around it for decoration. Mine, on the other hand, was a dense chocolate cake with a divine cream cheese icing and embellished with an oreo (talk about chalk & cheese in the presentation). Overall the cakes were great and the coffee divine.



This little space features rich green walls, clean lines, minimalistic furniture with a leather look, brass finishes and yet is surprisingly cosy. It is well thought out and executed and truly it is a pity that the prices outweigh the need to frequent the venue.

Anyhoo, I can successfully say I have ticked it off my bucket list and enjoyed the treat, but alas at those prices there are far better venues I would rather visit.
So there you have it, an adventure ... not the best, but then hey you win some, you lose some ...right?