So it' been a while since I last did a personal post, what with life's chaos it is hard to find time to rest let alone try and play catch up on personal pleasures.

I have however recently also been struggling with such bad toothache and (with not having medical aid) I have been trying desperately to prevent an abscess and delay my visit to the dentist. This tooth procrastination has led me to try something new , something which really sounds 'coco-loco' but hey ... I have nothing to lose but cavities right?

What is it you may ask?

I am now gargling every morning with coconut oil it is said to close up cavities and do wonders for the body, I'm definitely up for it. At the same time this is virtually the same as another health concept called 'oil pulling' which is also said to work wonders as I'll explain below. I have chosen to gargle first thing in the morning, but admittedly only after drinking my daily ritual of lemon water which has to be on an empty stomach (can't chance any oil slipping through).
So let's look at these two concepts separately and see what has been said about both:

COCONUT OIL AND THE TEETH
At first, I found this quite difficult because the oil is in a solid state when under 25'c and I felt like I was eating something, my reflex was to chew and then when it finally melted my brain kept telling me to swallow ... not easy!

It's interesting to read up on what coconut oil has been seen to do, for both the teeth and gums.

Here are 3 great reasons to start gargling with coconut oil:
1. Research shows that massaging coconut oil into your gums for about 10 minutes daily (continued for three weeks) significantly reduces decay-causing Streptococcus mutans as well as plaque.

2. It is claimed to whiten your teeth

3. It makes your breath fresher and greatly improve overall oral health.

So it's early days for me as I am only on day 3 , but I'll keep you updated as to the changes in my teeth . I am super excited to see what the results will be.

As for the oil pulling? This is not really my primary focus but rather an added benefit which I may write about in the future if I feel and see significant changes. 
OIL PULLING AND THE BENEFITS
I think for me what really stood out is the importance of this to be done first thing in the morning , to not eat anything prior and to also not swallow the oil ... it will be full of toxins absorbed through the lining of the mouth ... interesting hey?

Oil pulling involves swishing oil around the mouth, using it like a mouthwash. It has been used for thousands of years as an Indian folk remedy. In order to oil pull, you put a tablespoon of oil in your mouth, then swish it around for 15-20 minutes.

Here are a few benefits to oil pulling:
  • Cures tooth decay
  • Kills bad breath
  • Heals bleeding gums
  • Prevents heart disease
  • Reduces inflammation
  • Whitens teeth
  • Soothes throat dryness
  • Prevents cavities
  • Heals cracked lips
  • Boosts Immune System
  • Improves acne
  • Strengthens gums and jaw
All of the above have been scientifically proven, so clearly I have absolutely nothing to loose and only beautiful teeth and gums to gain!

After only 3 days I must say that my mouth feels cleaner in the morning after gargling (or pulling), and I actually can already see a slight change in the colour of my teeth (hope it's not my mind playing games ... nah!)

For more on oil pulling, read the following from the professionals:

And for a personal account you can visit my friend and fellow bloggers Chereen's blog called 'For The Beauty Of It':

So as they say the proof will be in the pudding, lets wait and see!

** Sources: Dr Mercola, Authority Nutrition and Dr Axe