Exercise has become a rather large part of my weekly routine and a non-negotiable element too might I add!

For the last 10 years, I became the victim of a self-imposed sedentary lifestyle, opting for the comfort of my couch at the end of a long day rather than the sweaty drippy-ness of exercise ... this, however, has changed rather dramatically.

II embarked on a new lifestyle journey at the end of October 2015, one that included weight-loss, fitness and health ... of which none can be done without the other.

Despite having a hereditary issue with my knees and being morbidly obese, I was determined that this was a new beginning and there would be no going back. I made it a mission to not think about exercise but to rather have a routine, one that is not entertained by the mind (we can talk ourselves out of anything if we really want to) but rather a robotic type process.

I now find myself craving the stress relief and pleasant exhaustion that exercise induces, mainly because I know after a good night's rest I will feel fantastic the next day ...yes!

Today I want to share why I chose to live an active lifestyle as opposed to the 'Couch Potato Syndrome'.
The Pro's of an active lifestyle ...

No. 1: Exercise controls weight
Exercise can help prevent excess weight gain or help maintain weight loss. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories, build muscle and increase bone strength and density. These days with the likes of ABC Bootcamp, FitCamp and HIIT Training, exercise programs consist of small bursts (sets) of repetitive exercises, these burn fat effectively and offer greater toning.
You don't need to set aside large chunks of time for exercise to reap weight-loss benefits just make it a regular non-negotiable commitment and stick to it!

No. 2: Exercise combats health conditions and diseases
Boost your health and limit future disease, when you exercise you boost your high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or 'good' cholesterol and you decrease any unhealthy triglycerides, which decreases your risk of cardiovascular diseases. In all honesty, regular physical activity can help you prevent or manage a wide range of health problems and concerns, including stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, depression, certain types of cancer, arthritis and more ... no need to see why I chose to get active again!

No. 3: Exercise improves mood
Need an emotional lift then get those happy hormones kicking in again?  The best way to induce relaxation and a sense of wellbeing is to  blow off some steam after a stressful day?
A workout at the gym or a brisk 30-minute walk can help, in my case I have chosen to go with Fit Camp as I enjoy high-intensity exercise. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals and hormones known as endorphins, these leave you feeling happier and more relaxed.

No. 4: Exercise promotes better sleep
Struggling to fall asleep or waking up in the middle of the night?
Regular physical activity a.k.a exercise will help improve your quality of sleep and get you to slumberland faster.

No. 5: Exercise can be fun
Exercise and physical activity can be fun, especially when you participate in groups where everyone challenges and supports one another. It is a great way to spend some time and makes the exercise time pass by quickly. At Fit Camp, it is, even more, fun as we get to enjoy the outdoors whilst exercising ... loads of fresh air! Find a physical activity you enjoy, and just do it. If you get bored, try something new until you find your perfect fit.

The bottom line on exercise is that long term your body and mind will definitely benefit from the activity and like me, you may just find yourself suddenly running and doing push-up's which seemed unimaginable.

If you think you are too old, or too fat, or too ill you are more than likely wrong ... I know I was! 

For peace of mind, however, always remember to check with your doctor before starting a new exercise program, especially if you haven't exercised for a long time, have chronic health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes or arthritis, or you have any concerns.

My sporty favourites are:
My Addidas trainers
My Herbalife Energy Tea
My Sportsman's Warehouse Yoga Mat & 1.5kg weights
My Pick n Pay cotton 3/4 length pants (at 2 for R100 bucks)


My how life has changed in 6 months :)