This I can honestly say was one of the most intriguing books to recently land up on my desk , it has been a journey that has been joyful , confusing , amusing and strange all rolled into one.

Yet, I still found that I could not put the book down and when it did eventually come to an end I felt deprived of what I would have liked to have had continue ...


Review - ETTA& OTTO & RUSSEL & JAMES (Penguin Books)

ISBN 978-0-241-18586-5

Published - 2015

Author - Emma Hooper


Genre – Fiction

My Rating: 3/5










 FROM THE PUBLISHER
I've gone. I've never seen the water, so I've gone there. I will try to remember to come back.Etta's greatest unfulfilled wish, living in the rolling farmland of Saskatchewan, is to see the sea. And so, at the age of eighty-two she gets up very early one morning, takes a rifle, some chocolate, and her best boots, and begins walking the 2, 000 miles to water. Meanwhile her husband Otto waits patiently at home, left only with his memories. Their neighbour Russell remembers too, but differently - and he still loves Etta as much as he did more than fifty years ago, before she married Otto. 
 - Penguin Random House Struik Books

-----------------------------------------------
Etta as you meet her initially oin the story has already progreesed through life and is the ripe age of 83yrs old. Etta seems to reach a 'to hell with!' stage in her life and decides that it is 'now or never' despite being aged and not of sound mind and sets off on the journey of a lifetime.

It is only as the story progresses that the reader gets to learn about Etta's life and how she has reached the current stage of her life. The reader get to read of a small town , a simple lifestyle which becomes complicated and ravaged by war.

It is in these early days that Etta has to make a decision and choose who is to be the love of her life , despite still having both men very much an active part of her daily life.

Along this lonely and harsh journey which Etta makes , she becomes the beloved darling of a nation thanks to the local newspapers , inspiring many along the way. Her travel companion is the Coyote called James and to this day I still cannot tell you whether James is actually a fictional or real character ... however the duo are endearing and seem to keep each other on the straight and narrow as they journey to the Canadian coast via rugged terrain and bush.

A heart warming story with unexpected twists and turns.

I truly loved reading this book and could not put it down despite a rocky start, I found myself smiling at times and at other times thinking 'What the heck is she doing?'

This is a debut book and I look forward to reading future publications.
 

Retails for R275.00
For more info on where to get this book
Penguin Books




Disclosure Ranking 2 - (Please refer to my disclosure ranking in the side bar)