Last week I had the priviledge of being a guest for the evening at the lovely Fire and Ice hotel in Cape Town. What you need to understand is what I have just recently come to understand myself ... 'you don't need leave your own city in order to have a mini-vacation or staycation' as I like to call it!

Yes there are plenty amazing hotels in our city of Cape Town and many of them offer the most amazing specials during the quiet season.

I however was here to experience the fabulous 'new look' Protea Hotel Fire and Ice Cape Town, after their recent revamp and I was super tickled at GM Janneman Britz description of 'Ice below and Fire upstairs' ... I kid you not!
Okay then , look for yourselves ...
The cool tones of glass and wood below with this unique wall paper created from pages of 'The Star' newspaper dating as far back as 1924 (I love it and want it!) and then it hot's up, with the fiery flaming carpets the red glass lighting in the foyers and the fun rainbow lights in the bedrooms ... a feast for the eyes!

What touched me most were the personalised welcome boards in reception anouncing my arrival ... to this special welcome message and a fabulous gift box of snacks and treats in our room ... ready to spoil us for our stay.
It makes even the most humble of persons feel just a touch Regal.
The rooms were light and airy and the white and glass bathroom helps the room to look airy and spacious     (but did get greeted with a *gasp* by myself and my cousin Tracy, who joined me for the evening ... talk about up close and personal ...tee hee).

The beds in this hotel are only second to those of The Twelve Apostles , it was huge , comfortable , firm but soft and you could not even feel the other person move ... 'Can I have one to go please?'

and so after resting and refreshing the adventure of our evening meal began ...
It did take some gentle persuasion but we started of the meal with a round of cocktails and I indulged 'Carrie Bradshaw Style' with a Cosmopolitan ...aaahhh!

For starters I chose a salad option with chicken and shrimp , for my mains I chose the infamous 'Cheese Cheese Cheese Burger' with a side of cream pepper sauce and fries and I ended up with 'The Godfather ' for desert (not too crazy about the plating of this one). 
All my food was delicious and a good balance between restaurant faire and yummy home cooked food.
Tracy's meal comprised of 'The Shroom' for starters , a fabulous blend of mushrooms , blue cheese, bacon and a balsamic reduction. 
For Tracy's mains she choose the Lamb Shank and also chose to end of with 'The Godfather' ...yummy!
The restaurant area in Protea Fire and Ice Cape Town has been completely revamped and what was once plush and elegant has now become fun , trendy and quite contemporary.
I found the atmosphere to be welcoming but a little stark in the evening with all the white, however I loved the quirky decor and vintagey bits as you can see below.
I enjoyed dining here , my only suggestion is don't plan a romantic evening on a Friday night here as there is a live DJ and the music can be quite intrusive and a little loud but great if you are ready to 'boogie' the night away!
After dinner we had to walk around and explore a little to help our food settle , however I was determined I would not leave the hotel without first experiencing the new and latest milkshake addition 'The Salted Caramel Popcorn' flavour ... and it was worth it! ...nom nom nom

Fire and Ice has become renown for their Hamburgers and Milkshakes and you would be sorely amiss to not experience these treats at least once. ( Did I mention the mikshakes are verging on Fish Bowls?)
The public areas as mentioned previously have a lovely cool and calm ambience with the soft shades of green , glass and neutral woods.
The pool and relaxation areas are open and casual with all the facilities you may need when away from home such as a pool , gym and indoor/outdoor lounge area.
As you can see the Prote Fire and Ice Hotel Cape Town has so much to offer the businessman just flying in for a few days and/or the visitor just looking to escape the bustle whilst on holiday.

It is conveniently situated in the heart of the city and yet would never say so with the calm and peaceful rooms above.

Tracy and I had a fabulous stay and will definitely be back for more of those delicious milkshakes.

If you are looking for a hotel thats ...
' ultra-chic dining, relaxing spa days, a pool deck tan and pumping nights at the bar!' 
You've got it!!

For more info:
www.proteahotels.com
New Church Street, Tamboerskloof,
Cape Town 8018
Tel: +27 (0) 21 488 2555
reservations@fireandicehotel.com




 Disclosure Ranking 2 - (Please refer to my disclosure ranking in the side bar)