It's no secret that I am turning forty this year ...shock , horror? Well not really I've had 40yrs to get used to the idea , but what never occurred to me is that I would be divorced , childless and well no new beau in sight!

What is however a firm reality is that my body clock is ticking ...tick tick tick and so I have to start realizing and making peace with the fact that I might not get to have a child of my own. So you might be asking yourself 'why is she talking about infertility then?'

To be honest when I was married we 'tried' for children for over a year, and never conceived (for me a good outcome, all things considered). At the time I struggled with an inner battle of 'is there something wrong with me?', 'is it me?','what have we done to deserve this?' and loads of other haunting questions. I think the reality really hit me full on when my cousin conceived right away, we had told no one that we were trying to fall pregnant, instead of being elated for her I felt cheated and burst into tears. This left me more despondent feeling like a traitor to my cousin that I couldn't celebrate with her and rather disappointed in life ...
I obviously never went for any further diagnosis or treatments as my marriage fell apart soon after this time period and I never really wanted to be a single mom. I guess for me it's all or nothing and of course a personal choice.

What I did find to interesting of late, is how many friends are getting married later in life  as a result trying for a family in their late thirties and then struggling to conceive. Often the first thought is that there is something physiologically wrong with the woman in question (there are many treatments for woman both invasive and non-invasive, I am not discussing those today), this is not necessarily true though.With stress and our modern day lifestyle men are also becoming infertile and research has revealed the following statistics to be true ...

'Research shows that close to 10 percent of all couples experience infertility issues at some point, with male infertility contributing to 50 percent of all couples fertility problems. While men may be less likely to openly seek infertility support, they are becoming an increasingly affected by infertility. Male infertility is commonly due to deficiencies in the semen, and semen quality is used as a surrogate measure of male fecundity.
' - Lamelle Research Laboratories


So just what is Semen Quality?
'Semen quality is a measure of the ability of semen to accomplish fertilization. Thus, it is a measure of fertility in a man. It is the sperm in the semen that are of importance, and therefore semen quality involves both sperm quantity and quality. Decreased semen quality is a major factor of male infertility.' - Wikipedia

So what Affects Sperm Quality?
- Age
- Masturbation vs Intercourse
- Heat
- Physical Trauma
- Chemicals 
- Medication
- Hormones
- Diet




Lamelle Research Labs have come up with a solution ....

Prelox® a patented blend of Pycnogenol and L-arginine designed to actively treat male infertility.
Price: R495 Incl. VAT

This new and unique product has been approved by the MCC, Prelox® has been developed using a unique patented combination of Pycnogenol and L-arginine Aspartate and is the first product of its kind in South Africa to have published data featured in an international research journal a feat not to be sniffed at.
Two Prelox® Caps taken each morning show multiple benefits including the following:
   Increase in semen volume
   Increase in spermatozoa concentration
   Increase in percentage of motile spermatozoa 
   Increase in percentage of spermatozoa with normal morphology

Prelox® capsules daily has a significant effect on overall sperm health. Results can be seen within one month.

For more info visit www.2tostartafamily.co.za

I know this article deviates a little from my norm , but as a lifestyle blog I really wanted to share the frustration infertility can cause. Ladies take the lead and have both yourselves and your partner checked. If you are struggling to conceive, men are very shy and secretive about their personal fears ...a little nudge helps as there are options now for both men and women.

I hope this was helpful
x x x H