It was a true shocker the world over yesterday, as the social media were inundated with the news that Angelina Jolie has had an elective double mastectomy at the age of 37yrs.

Angelina has inherited a gene that gives her a very high chance of developing breast cancer and she has made a very brave decision to have the breast surgery as a preventative measure rather than wait until it becomes
a necessity.  Angelina was candid in her own blog on whether her children had asked her questions about her decision and responded as follows...

"We often speak of 'Mommy's mommy', and I find myself trying to explain the illness that took her away from us. They have asked if the same could happen to me "

"I have always told them not to worry, but the truth is I carry a 'faulty' gene."





Angelina's long time partner Brad Pitt  has been very supportive of her decision and is quoted as saying

"Having witnessed this decision firsthand, I find Angie's choice, as well as so many others like her, absolutely heroic,"
Pitt told London's Evening Standard newspaper.


 "All I want is for her to have a long and healthy life, with myself and our children. This is a happy day for our family.

Angelina has been lauded by all Breast Cancer Research and Treatment Foundations, having been praised for raising the awareness and importance of Gene testing for Breast Cancer risk and rightly so.

As a woman I admire Angelina's decision and I wish only the best for her and her family in the future.